Sunday, October 10, 2010

What is IT?

Like I mentioned in my last post, life after our sunny So Cal vacation has gotten a little crazy. Right before we had went to Disneyland I went to our doctor because I had a few episodes of my blood sugar dropping and the last one I had nearly fainted. I went to Dr. Montalvo thinking that I have hypo glycemina. He thought that my preliminary diagnosis was pretty accurate, but just to be sure order some blood work. I carried the labs with me for a solid seven days before I actually made it out to Kaiser... I try to avoid that place like the plague.
I was pretty surprised the next day when the nurse called and said that the doctor wanted to see me regarding the results. When I met with him he said that my Insulin was abnormally high and he wasn't sure why. He said that because I have had pancreatitis so many times this could just be how my body functions but wanted to rule out a mass. They wanted me to do the CT the morning that we were going to go to Disneyland. I really felt positive about the test but did not want to chance getting a horrible call while at the Happiest Place on Earth. So... I scheduled for the following week.
I was pretty shaken up when I missed FOUR calls from my doctor several hours after my scan.... Panic set in and when I called him back he had the nerve go to lunch.
After lunch we finally were able to get in contact, he said that the CT scan showed a large mass on my pancreas, he did not know what it was, but was hopeful that it was not cancer. I was texting Lisa who while I was on the phone, she works five blocks away and headed straight to my work where we had a good cry together... followed by a good laugh. We certainly can not be each others "go to's" if we are gonna both be in tears.
After many doctor's appointments, CT scans, countless blood draws and 2 Biopsies, we are still left with the nagging question: WHAT IS IT?
The initial biopsy showed that it had some pre cancerous cells, that would likely turn cancerous, a condition called IPMN. Kaiser was set for surgery, a procedure called the Whipple...we just weren't there yet. I researched and researched and found a doctor at Stanford Hospital who appears to be very familiar with diseases of the pancreas. Of course, I'm a little biased, as doctor's at Stanford have saved my life once, I feel that i necessary they could do it again.
We love Dr. Poultsides, he is SOOO calm, thorough and patient with us. The biopsy that Stanford did was negative for the IPMN. I have a THIRD biopsy this week, they are going to go through the skin this time instead of down the throat. Dr. Poultsides thinks that it is either IMPN and just did not show up, another tumor called seudo Papillary tumor of the pancreas, OR possibly just a benign growth from the radiation I had as a child. The first two would require surgery, the third we could "watch" and see what it does".
After having several months to process, I am thankful and feel confident in the doctor's we have chosen. Much time has been spent in fervent prayer seeking guidance on this journey. We are blessed as our prayers have been answered and we know that we do not walk this journey alone.
I will keep updating as to how this continues, I know that whatever way it takes us that this is the Lord's plan for us. We have been diligently prepared through our many medical trials over the years and know that we are NEVER alone in this. We thank ALL of our friends and family who have provided support, prayers and fasting, please DON'T stop.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

You my friend are one of the strongest people I know and crying or not you will always be my go to girl...I love you and I will be here for you always!

Sanchez Family said...

Fasting....should I be fasting for you? I'm going to go ahead and just keep the prayers heading your way!! xoxo friend!

Scott and Kim said...

Maggie, If you fast it would count double time......so yes you need to fast...ha..ha-----Scott

Jess said...

Kim, you are now included in our family prayers! I wish I could be there to help out with the kids. I'm glad that you are seeing a doctor at Standford... I know I just spelt that wrong.... anyways, I've always heard the best things about that institution. I know the Lord will bless you, you are a great family and I look up to you so much!